Friday, September 26, 2008

Thursday in Bangalore

Today was another great day in India. We were in Bangalore for our second day. In the morning we went to the Indo Asian Academy (IAA) for meetings. Pete Kennedy and I addressed two groups of students today. One was upper level (2nd and 3rd year college students) and one group was first year (11th and 12th year students). They were very attentive. It was a little strange when all the students stood when we walked in the room. I could get used of that!! After the presentations Pete showed students how the GPS device worked. It was a big hit. Students loved the hands on interaction.
After the presentations we had lunch with various IAA personnel. The lunch included India food. It was great – but I love Indian food. I have included a picture of the food. After lunch we had a meeting with the faculty of the IAA.
After the meeting we went back to the hotel at 4 pm. The hotel is close to the shopping area so we had a chance to do a little shopping (OK, maybe a lot) and ride a rickshaw. That was an experience. At one point we were talking to passengers on a motorcycle traveling next to us at about 25 mph. Pete took a video of the ride and plans on posting it on youtube. When I have the URL I will let you know.
We went out to dinner with the Chair of IAA, his wife, daughter, son-in-law, niece and the equivalent of our VP of Academic Services for dinner. I am not accustomed to eating at 8 pm but that is early in India. Our restaurant was amazing (but all of us neglected to bring a camera). Dinner was served “family style” and when they brought dishes we were eating and enjoying. I didn’t realize cottage cheese came in “chunks” that could be cooked in a variety of ways. Well, we ate and thought we were finished and were told it was the first course of a 4 course meal. The food is fabulous but needless to say I was stuffed by the time we finished all courses.
One of the instructors at IAA asked Pete is a car and driver was included in our contract. For many instructors that is one of the perks. Housing is sometimes also provided. I could get very spoiled if I stay here much longer.
We got back to the hotel about 11 pm. I don’t think I am getting as much sleep as needed but figure I can catch up when I get back. Between meetings and wanting to see some of Bangalore there aren’t enough hours in the day!

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Sounds like an exciting day! I’m sure it is interesting to see how students treat their teachers in other cultures. I’m excited when my kids call me Miss Sarah instead of just hey you! The food sounds great, that would probably be one of my favorite parts.

Rachel said...

Cottage cheese in chunks hmm...I might like to try that, I can't stand the consistency of it otherwise but that sounds interesting!