Saturday, September 20, 2008

Saturday in Agra

Saturday was a great day. I think I am adjusted to the time change although I did wake up at 5:30, but that gave me time to get caught up with e-mails and update the blog. Today we had breakfast in the hotel. It was a buffet with some unpronounceable foods. There were a few “standards” on the buffet including fruit and omelets.
After breakfast we went on a tour of the Taj Mahal and Fort Agra. It really was as wonderful as I remembered. Fort Agra was built in the 1500’s and the Taj Mahal in the 1600’s. It is hard to believe the craft that went into the building. I have included a few pictures from each. At both places there were lines to get in; I think because of a conference being held in Agra. We were asked several times if we were part of the group. I am not sure of the type of conference but it is big – many people today had on red baseball caps that were freebies from the conference.
After the tours we went out for lunch at an Indian restaurant (what else). Pete, Russ and I each ordered something different and shared – so I had a sampling of Curry Chicken, Tandoor Chicken and a Vegetarian dish. The food is outstanding – I don’t think I will tire of Indian food. So far no food pictures but I am sure that is coming. After that we took advantage of our free time to do a little shopping. Although it was mostly window shopping there were a few things I couldn’t resist. I love the carved wooden pieces and did a little Christmas shopping also.
After getting back to the hotel we met in the tea room for tea and pastries. From my experiences the desserts are as wonderful as the other food. The tea pots were beautiful. I have also included a picture. The menu had a choice of 17 teas.
Our hotel in Agra is pretty amazing. It is quite large and has 3 restaurants, a large courtyard, shops, and a fitness center. Unfortunately I didn’t bring along any clothing for working out. I really wish I would have thought of it.
Tomorrow we will be catching up on work during the day. Then we catch a plane for Mumbai (Bombay) at 5 pm. Monday will start six days of meetings in Mumbai, Trivandrum and Bangalore before heading back next Saturday.

3 comments:

Edward said...

Pam, Love your reports and pictures. Keep up the good work and enjoy your amazing travels.

Anonymous said...

Food has always been quite a passion for me. How jealous I am that you are enjoying such culinary delights in such a remarkable place. If only you could smuggle back some authentic curry (any kind will do), I'd greatly appreciate it.

barbara said...

Pam
I love the pictures of your trip. I like the pictures of the market place and the girls in their uniforms. The food looks interesting. Barbara