Tuesday, March 11, 2008

Tuesday, March 11

Another great day. I really am enjoying the opportunity to visit India and meet with our counterparts at the Indo Asia Academy. We went there this morning where we enjoyed a lecture on Indian culture. Afterwards I made a presentation to about 100 students about our program. They seemed to enjoy the presentation although some of my jokes might not have worked. Our hosts served an excellent Indian buffet - so far with eating Indian food 2-3 meals a day I am not tired of it. It is delicious and has so much variety. It would be much the same as saying you ate American - the diversity is great.

This afternoon the students with us went out for an afternoon on the town with their counterparts from the Academy; so the Harris's and I had an opportunity to also go out and about. We walked through two shopping areas relatively close to the hotel - everything is very tempting. I have to remind myself that @ 40 rupees = $1.00. So when something is R 200 it isn't that expensive.

The students at the Academy are very gracious and pleasant. It is really fun learning about their classroom experiences. They are in class 5 3/4 days a week (getting out at 2:15 on Saturdays). They also wear uniforms - there are different colors for different majors.

At lunch today I had the opportunity to visit with Professor Daisy again. I really have enjoyed comparing teaching notes.

9 comments:

Kevin Fitts said...

Pam that sounds like a lot of fun. I'm sure all will be happy to have you back at AB Tech when you finish your trip.

Sorry to miss you today when I was on campus.

Kevin Fitts from Paradigm

Pete Kennedy said...

Hey Pam - sounds like you are still having a great time. Edward and the rest of GIS 215 say hello. Great pics by the way.

Michelle OConnor said...

Hi Pam, hope you enjoy more your stay at India. See you next Tuesday.

adkins.lucy said...

India seems like a wonderful place to travel to! I just took my first trip out of the country and it was incredible. Although I'm not a fan of Indian food, I think I could get used to it. I've had a few friends that have traveled there. One (also a teacher) went on a yoga, meditation type journy, and the other basically just went back packing around. I hope your trip was everything great and more. Have a safe trip home.

Anonymous said...

Hi, Pam! My name is Claudia and I am in your computer class and after reading about your experiences in India I am suddenly craving naan bread and a veggie curry dish. It sounds like you are getting to be apart of a great group of people. See you in class soon! Claudia

Jesse Plemmons said...

wow...india sounds too sweet,wish i could relate to you on the indian food thing but ive never had any. have a good time and be safe on your way home

hector said...

Pam I realy enjoyed those pictures you send it to us, I hope you having I wonderfultime there.

Captain's Personal Log said...

Pam,

On your blog you had stated that that you were served an Indian buffet. What kind of foods were on the Indian buffet? Also what is the most expensive item that you have seen or purchased while in India? I like the pictures that you had posted. What are the teaching styles at the Academy like?

Thomas Rickman

Unknown said...

Pam I hope you are enjoying your experience in India. You said you visit IBM, what was that like. I did my researh on Bangalore, and I found out that it was called The Silicone Valley of India, the hub for Major IT companies. If you get a chance, can you let me know what the job market is like for Information Technology.

Demond Carson