Saturday, March 8, 2008

I am in India!!

I had wondered about the plane trip but it was really great. The first 8 hours I slept. We left Charlotte at 8 pm on Thursday evening and arrived in Frankfurt at 10:30 Friday morning. After a two hour layover we boarded another 8 hour flight. I stayed awake reading so when we arrived at our hotel at 3 am Saturday morning I was ready to sleep. There is a 10 1/2 hour time difference here - I am not sure about how the 1/2 hour happened. And I haven't figured out what the effect of the time change in the US tonight will be.

We were met at the airport by a delegation from the Indo Asian Academy. Dr. Raja was a great help as there was a bus waiting to take us to the hotel. After sleeping in a little, our group walked to various shopping areas close to the hotel. However, before setting out shopping we were again greeted by students and faculty and given roses for our room.

The traffic is unbelievable - on the same road were horse drawn carriages, bikes, mopeds, buses, electric rickshaws, and people. And yes, in one case a cow. I am glad I don't have to drive - trying to cross the street is scary enough. Tonight we are going out to dinner at a place Dr. Harris went when he was here last Fall. Tomorrow starts our visits.

No comments: